Hammer height conundrum on a '46 Hardman grand

Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:36:50 +0100

George,

Been reading back and forth some of these posts and get the feeling that
as interested as you are in finding out how the instrument ticks, you'd
be best served by getting ahold of your local RPT and having him look
over your instrument, explaining things to you as he goes. You obviously
have a lot of good questions for him and are capable of understanding
the explainations as they come.

Such a look over doesnt cost you much in terms of dollars, and would be
worth those monies just from the instructional value such a visit would
provide you. Owning a piano and starting to enter into the piano
technician world is a route some of the finest technicians around have
taken. But I think most of them have taken every opportunity to draw on
as many resources for knowledge as are available. Hands on attention is
the best in this kind of example, as you can have things demonstrated to
you right there and then.

The thing is... unless there is something structurally wrong somewhere,
then some basic regulated condtions should result in a pretty reasonble
action. 10 mm key dip, 46 mm blow distance, 2 mm letoff, 4mm drop.  If
when these are at or close to these specs something else looks waaaay
out of whack.. then most probably something is wrong and you need to
identify what exactly that is. It's a bit difficult to troublshoot an
action from afar even with as much relavant information... grin.. heck
sometimes its difficult to troubleshoot even when you are right on top
of them.

It would be neat to read your commments that result from such a look
over as well.  In the meantime, get a hold of Reblitz's book on piano
technique.

Cheers
RicB