Hammer height conundrum on a '46 Hardman grand

George Whitty gwhitty@optonline.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:05:41 -0500

Hi, Dean:

    Thanks for your insights;  everyone's take on this is definitely
moving me toward an approach.  You might be able to give me a bit of
advice on finding a really good tech (I hired a guy to tune my piano
when I got it 5 months ago;  he had to raise the pitch probably an
average of a half-step, but even freshly tuned, though he did a nice
job on the unisons and so forth, I didn't really like the scale.).  I'm
going to get it tuned again after I replace a number of tuning pins
(just got my reamer today, and am replacing my #1 pins with #2's, which
is working well so far), so I'd love to find a really good, experienced
guy to both tune it and then pull out the action and give me the kind
of consultation you discuss.  I've had the Reblitz book for a few
months now, and have followed his step-wise approach to the letter,
only getting stymied here at step 13 (I think it's 13, anyway).  Since
I'm the "client" on my regulation, I think I'll try two different
approaches to making this workable until I can get the hammers
replaced, and just see which one works best for my sensibilities...

Thanks,
George