Hammer height conundrum on a '46 Hardman grand

George Whitty gwhitty@optonline.net
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:34:37 -0500

After a long, careful examination of my piano (and my assumptions about
my piano), I've come to the conclusion that my hammers have been filed
several times.  They're actually faceted, some in a fairly lumpy,
asymmetrical way, and looking really closely I can see and feel two
distinct rounds of filing, with possibly more;  This is probably where
I'm losing most of that 3/16".   I'm not in any position to replace the
hammers in this piano for now;  that one's WELL beyond my scope, so I'm
looking for the best compromise.  It occurs to me that by shimming with
a couple 1/16" washers beneath each of the 8 support posts on the upper
structure of the action (thus raising the hammers 1/8") , then turning
up the capstans and adjusting the backchecks (these were going to need
a regulation anyway), I could at least preserve more of the correct
geometry between the wippens and the hammers than I would by simply
screwing up the capstans until the hammer travel is 1 3/4" but the
hammer shanks are sitting way above the hammer rests.  The disadvantage
of this approach is that I have to crank the capstans even higher (or,
as Barbara suggested, fill out the wippen cushions more) to raise the
hammers than I would if I left the upper action where it is, thus
taking advantage of the leverage (in which lifting the wippen a little
raises the hammer a lot).  Has anyone done anything like this?  Is it
just a terrible idea, or a workable kluge until I can pay someone to
replace all the hammers one day?

Thanks again,
George