wax removal

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:05:35 -0500

Hi  Don,

> Sarah what is a "non polar" solvent? (I do know what acetone is--but what
> is the "sense" of the definition of "non polar"?)

Well, it's a chemical term.  Polar means that the molecule has positively
and negatively charged ends or projections.  Nonpolar means that it
doesn't -- that it's more or less electrically neutral.  Water is a classic
polar solvent.  Polar solvents dissolve polar substances (e.g. salts).
Oils, waxes, and paint-thinner type substances are examples of nonpolar
substances.  Some of these (e.g. naptha) evaporate at low temperatures and
are good for washing out other nonpolar substances that otherwise would
require very high temperatures to evaporate (e.g. waxes).

Most polar and nonpolar substances will not mix (e.g. oil and water), but
some are enough similar to both classes that they can mix.  It is for this
reason that acetone can dissolve away oils and waxes, and it can also wash
away water.

Anyway, for the wax problem, just think mineral spirits, acetone, naptha,
toluene, etc....  the stinky stuff that evaporates away.  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah

PS  Just don't boil the strings in acetone!! 8-}