wax removal

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 16:49:19

Hi All,

Some further information about the instrument which is in a concert hall.

It has oversize pins already (#5's)--which are distinctly *not* tight, so
I'd rather not remove them if at all possible.

The strings are, by performance standards, ancient (circa 1976), so if they
have to come off I'll be recommending replacement.

If I had my way--they would replace the pin block and restring the entire
instrument--but then--if I'd had my way before this they would have an
Edwards String Cover and this damage would not have occurred.

I had thought about mechanical cleaning, freezing, and acetone followed by
steam.

Sarah what is a "non polar" solvent? (I do know what acetone is--but what
is the "sense" of the definition of "non polar"?)

Any one care to speculate about problems the wax may have caused in the
Action? I've not pulled it to see how extensive the wax "treament" has
spread. There is clearly involvement on the left off rail and at least some
hammer flanges.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca		http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7