parts and sensibility

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 9 Jan 2005 14:03:12 +0100

Dear colleagues,

Usually, original piano parts - and especially coming from the high end=20=

market  - are not just expensive, but often outrageously expensive,=20
caused by power, false pride, arrogance and calculated greed, only=20
because the name is "RR or Bentley" etc.
At the same time these parts can only be obtained through the 'official=20=

channels', meaning that the distributors are the only ones to have full=20=

access to these parts.
Very often, ordered parts are not immediately available so the dealer,=20=

the tech, and the customer have to wait a very long time and by the=20
time the ordered parts finally come into the hands of the technician,=20
they are worth almost gold and thus the prices for repairs have to go=20
sky high as well.
A bottle neck in the availability of parts is most often the fact that=20=

those same parts are not made in the piano factories but by a=20
independent parts manufacturers, who, also usually, are not at liberty=20=

to sell RR and Bentley parts straight to the dealers or independent=20
technicians.   Very often those supply houses (but not all mind you) do=20=

not have the full knowledge and expertise about the products they sell=20=

because they are not technicians themselves.  That means that less=20
demanding technicians may be fairly content with what they get, but=20
more demanding technicians are quite often not satisfied with the=20
quality the stuff they ordered because their customers are usual more=20
critical, aside from the long waiting time and the high price they have=20=

to pay, a price often ridiculously overrated if we think about what it=20=

actually is we hold in our hands : a few small pieces of wood, felt,=20
cloth and metal.  Don't get me wrong... a well manufactured wippen, or=20=

a high quality piano hammer for instance is a product of decades of=20
development, accurately treated wood and the investment of lots of=20
capital to design, make, and maintain precision machines. However, once=20=

the machines do well, they spew out millions of pieces and the products=20=

can be sold to the manufacturers of piano's for a decent price,=20
agreeable to both.  Once the piano factories start selling their parts=20=

to wholesalers, piano parts houses, the price has doubled and by the=20
time we get them in our paws, prices may have doubled again. This is a=20=

normal commercial procedure and there is nothing against it, except=20
that in some cases prices get out of hand so much that it becomes=20
ridiculous, and a pain to both the dealer/technician and especially the=20=

customer. That is the moment where, when those factories have lost=20
their reasonableness by asking too much, they start to dig their own=20
graves.
I personally have come to the conclusion that in the case where both=20
price and availability of piano parts become hilarious, it is high time=20=

to do something about it by finding alternatives, and good ones i.e.=20
far less expensive, and with much better service.  In certain cases it=20=

is possible to find channels outside the main stream of suppliers, in=20
other cases we can try to use our ingenuity and brain power, and find=20
new small places where some parts can be copied, always cheaper, not=20
always the same or better.
In the latter case we must be patient and invest a lot of time with the=20=

new manufacturer(s) in order to both come to a point where the level=20
and quality of the parts becomes agreeable and satisfactory.
I have tried this and I know it is possible and in finding these parts=20=

our colleagues can profit from the new and less expensive findings.  In=20=

some cases it is - not yet - possible to get satisfying alternatives=20
but that is the more a reason to grin and be smarter.

In the case of Yamaha, I don't find their prices too high and the=20
quality of their products is always tip top.  In some parts of the=20
World there has been developed a policy where it is hard to get their=20
(Yamaha) parts, but in other parts it is no problem at all.  In my=20
opinion that has to do with the suppliers, who often have a say in what=20=

they sell. Talking about it almost always helps and patience and=20
diplomacy are usually the way to progress.
If it is clear that talking, patience and diplomacy will not help, we=20
are forced to dig in and use our ingenuity.
That in itself can be very very inspiring!
I know........
(: >)))

friendly greetings
from