Yamaha's idiotic policies

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 08 Jan 2005 13:56:44 -0400

A way out of this, would be to supply the parts to say Schaff.
That way, they wouldn't have the hassle.
Since Schaff is in the business of supplying parts, it would increase their sales.
The technicians would be able to get the parts to do their job.
This would be a win, win situation.
But since Yamaha took away their parts and tools from Schaff, I don't believe that story one little bit.
Yamaha USA is doing a disservice to themselves and techs that repair their pianos.
The bit about running out of parts is BS also. Lets face it, if the pianos were still back in Japan, and needed the parts, they would obviously get them. It is the same number of worn out parts that would get replaced worldwide.
Apparently, Yamaha Canada and Europe, don't see any necessity for this mean policy.
It is just 'sour grapes', but lets face it people will buy what and where they want.
I wonder if they did a survey to determine just how many new sales they saved?
Don't get me wrong, I think Yamaha has an excellent product, good warranty, and I have enjoyed the courses at the different conventions I have attended. But in this instance, I feel their policy is wrong.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: PianoTek4u@aol.com
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Sent: Saturday, January 08, 2005 1:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Yamaha's idiotic policies

  To the List:

  With regard to Yamaha Corporation's parts policy, I spoke to Dave Durben of Yamaha at the Februrary, 2004 Tech Conference at the LAX Hilton and the gist of the conversation was thus:  It costs Yamaha about $20 just to PROCESS an order for parts and, in many instances, Yamaha takes a loss in the supplying of parts for its instruments.  Consequently, so as not to exacerbate these losses, the piano maker will only supply parts for those pianos which are in America legitimately which is why the serial numbers of instruments are required when ordering.  I hope this information may help explain their policy.

  Respectfully,

  Anthony G. Bajada