Screw/McMaster-Carrq

Dave Mckibben mcbeach@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 16:32:12 -0800

Terry:
The grade of bolt is related to its tensile strength ( among other things possibly ).  I have tested bolts in past jobs and know that the higher the bolt grade, the higher the torqe spec it can take........ i.e. tensile strength.
Grade 3 is a very standard 'off the shelf' type bolt.  Grade 5 will be a stronger bolt and Grade 8 would be rated quite high in torque capacity for any given size.
Not sure that helps, but that is some info.  If detail info is needed on grade of bolts, any machinist handbook will have that and i could look up specifics if someone needs it.
As far as the coatings, i dont know how they are made, but I do know from testing that they can have an effect on actual clamp load achieved for any given torque applied due to different friction coefficients.
again........not sure that helps anyone.

Dave

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Garrett
To: pianotech
Sent: 1/5/2005 10:16:22 PM
Subject: Re: Screw/McMaster-Carrq

Terry Farrell asked: "Joe, can you translate any of this?"
Most? Nope!! I suspect that the Black - Oxide, might be a bluing process, but not sure. So May be the Black finish, as well. What ever the "Corrosion-Resistant coating is anyone's guess.
The grades? Not a chance! :-(
It'd be nice if they spoke normal language. (like us P.Tuners!<G>)
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I