New Piano Referral

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:33:29 -0600

Terry:

I think I'd tell him that I'd be happy to tune their pianos but your fee is $xx or if you have to do a pitch raise it is $yy.

He had to know you referred these people since they asked for you to do the tuning.  In your situation I'd only do it for the severely reduced rate if I had to have that work to eat lunch tomorrow.

dave

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of Terry
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 1:09 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: New Piano Referral

Looking for an opinion or two.

Recently I got calls from two people looking to buy a good vertical piano for their children that are taking piano lessons. One I did not know, and the other I had tuned their old piano several times. I gave them both an earful about used pianos. Both indicated some interest in considering a new vertical piano, but definately wanted to stay below $5K. Anyway, the bottom line was that one of the recommendations I gave them was to check out a particular store in the area and look at a couple of particular new pianos there. They did and both bought new studio pianos from that dealer. I have no relationship whatsoever with the dealer (I did a few floor tunings for him years ago) - just think he is an honest guy and I like the products he sells. I did not recommend any of the other several dealers in the area.

I don't think it is unreasonable to conclude that I referred the customers to the dealer.

The dealer called me and told me that these two people requested that I provide them their one free tuning that comes with the new piano. I asked what he pays for that type of tuning. He gave me a price that is 50/85 of my normal tuning fee. I suppose there is every possibility the pianos may also need a pitch raise, which in that case, the fee quoted might be 50/125 of my normal pitch-raise-and-tuning fee.

I've done these types of tunings before for stores and that type of low pay. I have to admit that I'm pretty much over that phase of my tuning career. But as a matter of principle, my gut tells me that the dealer should gladly pay me my standard tuning fee. I'm not asking for any type of commission related to the sale of the pianos. In fact, I don't want a comission - I enjoy the very independant nature of my business. It's just a matter of priciple to me - I should think he would pay my normal bill with a smile on his face.

It is possible that he is not aware that I referred the customers to him (although, I would think so).

Anyone have any experience/opinion on such a matter?

Terry Farrell