SV: New Piano Referral

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Fri, 7 Jan 2005 01:25:31 +0100 (CET)

Hi Terry,=20

As a member of this list for some years now, I sometimes wonder what kind o=
f dealers you have "over there"...

Here in Norway (4,5 million citizens) we are about 7 major piano-dealers + =
50 minor dealers. All of the major pianoshops are owned and run by highly s=
killed piano-craftsmen. Most of us have several years of training at factor=
ies in Germany (most of us from Schimmel and B=F6sendorfer).

I must say, that for a dealer like me, it is very important that other tune=
rs advice us to their clients, and if so happens, we will be happy to pay t=
hem full price for a tuning. This doesn`t happen very often, because we nor=
mally do all the tunings, prepping, regulating, voicing and after-work ours=
elf (or by one of our employed tuners).

But a good relationship to other tuners are important for us, because we ne=
ed them, and the pianoteachers, and the organists, and lot of other piano-p=
eople, to sell our pianos!

Selling pianos makes it possible for us to run a good workshop, and a good =
supply of parts, that we also sell to other local tuners. Most major dealer=
s in Norway also make their own bass-strings. So if you lived in Norway, yo=
u could visit my shop, and while you had a nice cup of coffee, I would make=
 the bass-strings you needed that day...

What I ment to say, was that the tuners and the dealers could both profit o=
n a good relationship. The dealers need to sell their instruments, but if t=
hey want the support from tuners and teachers, they must offer quality in d=
ifferent segments.

Why not take a chat with your local dealer, and see if you both could have =
an advantage of a constructive relationship...?

Kjell Sverre Fardal
Vise-precident Norwegian Pianotuners Guild

 for their children that are taking piano lessons. One I did not know, and =
the other I had tuned their old piano several times. I gave them both an ea=
rful about used pianos. Both indicated some interest in considering a new v=
ertical piano, but definately wanted to stay below $5K. Anyway, the bottom =
line was that one of the recommendations I gave them was to check out a par=
ticular store in the area and look at a couple of particular new pianos the=
re. They did and both bought new studio pianos from that dealer. I have no =
relationship whatsoever with the dealer (I did a few floor tunings for him =
years ago) - just think he is an honest guy and I like the products he sell=
s. I did not recommend any of the other several dealers in the area.
>=20
> I don't think it is unreasonable to conclude that I referred the customer=
s to the dealer.
>=20
> The dealer called me and told me that these two people requested that I p=
rovide them their one free tuning that comes with the new piano. I asked wh=
at he pays for that type of tuning. He gave me a price that is 50/85 of my =
normal tuning fee. I suppose there is every possibility the pianos may also=
 need a pitch raise, which in that case, the fee quoted might be 50/125 of =
my normal pitch-raise-and-tuning fee.
>=20
> I've done these types of tunings before for stores and that type of low p=
ay. I have to admit that I'm pretty much over that phase of my tuning caree=
r. But as a matter of principle, my gut tells me that the dealer should gla=
dly pay me my standard tuning fee. I'm not asking for any type of commissio=
n related to the sale of the pianos. In fact, I don't want a comission - I =
enjoy the very independant nature of my business. It's just a matter of pri=
ciple to me - I should think he would pay my normal bill with a smile on hi=
s face.