recycled balance hole repair

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:19:53 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2005 6:19:04 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
terry@farrellpiano.com writes:
   Keith,Terry
  By the way you can recycle a whole lot of fine basswood  in every upright.
It's usually in the long case parts that they really didn't  want to warp Or
block' There is just a whole lot of it.
   Dale

I think Bill Spurlock mentions in his article to make  sure the grain is
parallel with the long axis of the key. I used basswood on a  set I did recently.
I know that is often used. Some suggest maple, but Spurlock  expressed some
concern regarding potential noise with maple. Most True-Value  hardware stores
or any decent hobby shop will have a variety of craft wood of  various species
and thicknesses. MallWort might have it, but who would ever go  there (ever
wonder why you don't have a crarft store nearby?)?

Terry Farrell