Parts: was back check wires

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:17:17 -0600

Guy:

Thanks for the information on the Juarez plant.  I ordered some hammer
butt flanges for the 243HP a couple of months ago and still have not
received them.  No wonder!  Those flanges are just a little bit smaller
than the typical butt flanges you can get from Schaff.  Somehow I just
get the feeling in my bones that Gibson might be shutting down more and
more until the Baldwin name is picked up by a Chinese company.  I hope
that's not an accurate feeling.

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Nichols
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 8:37 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Parts: was back check wires

At 06:56 AM 1/6/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>This may sound simplistic, but has anyone approached Yamaha suggesting
>that they become a generic piano parts supplier.  It seems like they
are
>always looking for new avenues for business expansion, I am.
>Jim
>James Grebe

Well...... someone will need to step up to the plate. If you haven't
heard,
Gibson, in their infinite wisdom, has shut down the Pratt-Win plant in
Juarez. That plant produced a HUGE amount of parts of all types (not
just
Baldwin) for suppliers. There are already shortages. I suspect that
we'll
eventually see Oriental and Czech parts, IF..... big IF.... the
tooling-up
costs can be worked-out. Gibson made it difficult to purchase any of the

machinery. Even so, the days of relatively inexpensive S2 parts and
brass-rail butts and damper levers and flanges and.... well..... the
list
is almost endless..... anyway, those days are over. Bank on it, and
budget
for it when estimating. In some cases, when estimating, it will be a
real
good idea to check on parts availability before giving the customer the
bid.

Regards,
Guy