using maple for ribs?

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 10:13:47 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2005 8:42:33 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dlbullock@att.net writes:

I was reading  all the stuff about keeping old wood and wondered something.
I have  always used sugar pine for soundboard ribs.  Has anyone used maple for
 ribs in a concert grand?  It looks like it would be better for stiffness
and holding crown, but would it inhibit vibrations perhaps.  I will be  looking
for or making rib stock very soon for a  project.

  Hey Lynn
  Did you use the sugar pine you got from me? There is  more.
  I would not use maple for ribs for the reasons you mentioned. I  would use
tight sugar or some form of spruce.