Tuning pin and pin block problem

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 05 Jan 2005 17:23:48 -0400

Hi Gordon,
Sounds like jerky pins.
Young Chang had a problem with the same symptoms, and it was a contaminated pinblock.
In their case it had been caused by a silicone lubricant used at the factory to ease the driving of the plate securing screws.
Someone hasn't used WD40, to make sure the strings and pins won't rust?
Or is it a rust bond that has formed where the string contacts the plates, due to raising the humidity. That sounds more like a ping, though, and it would show up, whether raising or lowering the pitch.

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gordon Holley
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 3:57 PM
  Subject: Tuning pin and pin block problem

  Hello List - TUNING PIN AND PIN BLOCK PROBLEM

  I have a church as a customer, with a Yamaha C3 Grand, SN710484, approximately 25 years old, which I have tuned frequently since Mar 2002, 5 times in 2004.  This grand sits in a sanctuary that will seat 500, a choir of 80, with a large organ, space for a 16 piece orchestra and a large pulpit stage area.

              This piano has been in the relative same space for 25 years.  The church does not have any moisture/humidity control provisions, does have a forced air heating system and air conditioning.

              The piano has a Dampp Chaser, installed some 12 to 15 years ago. However, on my first

  tuning appointment I checked the water level and evaporator pads, the water level was very low and the pads were dry and crusty.  After talking with the maintenance people, they changed the pads and have been very good about keeping the water level up.

              Facts:

  1.                  Even with the Dampp Chaser, the water evaporates in a day or two.

  2.                  The relative humidity cannot be raised above the 32-33% mark.

  3.                  I suggested they purchase a vaporizer to supplement the Dampp Chaser.

  They purchased a vaporizer, kept the water level up, the unit ran 24 hours

  a day, and within a 2 week period the relative humidity taken directly under

  the piano never raised above 35%, and the fan motor burned out.

  Now we have a large plastic tub under the piano with water and the RH will not

  raise above 33-34%.

  4.                  I tuned the piano on December 4th, 2004 and was called back to tune the piano

  again last night, one month later, and the piano averaged 7 cents flat with wild unisons.

  5.                  MAIN CONCERN AND PROBLEM.

  I've noticed since March 2002, a problem with moving the tuning pins and the problem has worsened since then.  The pins will not easily move, first movement down with the pitch and then bringing the pitch back up, the sound from the pin in the pin block is like a finger snap or like a spike being pulled out of a piece of southern yellow pine.

  And even after getting the pin to release, and pulled above pitch, I can still get the snap sound and a jerk movement in attempting to pull the wire above pitch. Not an easy smooth movement.

  This problem is now at the point that at least 1/3 of the pins are affected this way.

  6.                  I've discussed a bottom cover, a skirt, keeping the piano closed during all non use

  periods.

              Questions:

  1.                  What has happened to the pin block?

  2.                  Will this condition, in the pin block, continue to worsen?

  3.                  Is there anything that can be suggested to correct this problem with the pin block?

  Many thanks,

  Gordon Holley, Associate Member, Indiana Chap 467