Tuning pin and pin block problem

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:27:44 +0100

Hi Gordon.

First off... if you can keep your piano room stable at around 30 % RH,
then you should feel reasonably happy. 30 % is low indeed... but its not
drastically low, and if you keep it very stable there then your piano
should stay stable. There are a few upsides about a climate bit on the
dry side. The abscence of felt eating creatures and less corrosion to
name a couple. The name of the game is stability... within reasonable
parameters... and 30% is on the low end of reasonable in my book.

As far as jumpy pins. Nothing new here... I have a C3 that is developing
the same kind of thing... bought in 1981. Its been a real gem for all
these years but now its getting more and more difficult to tune because
of jumpy pins. This topic has been up many times and a host of solutions
have been suggested. The only thing I've ever found that seems to really
work for me is to change pins with a light wire brush reaming done to
the interiors. I get the feeling that some combination of events leaves
the pinholes in a glazed burnished state... tho thats just musing. In
anycase brushing them thoroughly with a wire brush has always yeilded me
good results. I'm not a fan of adding diverse sorts of dope to the
pinblock myself... but many report good results with differing
substances. I'll leave it to them to suggest whatever those are.

Cheers
RicB