Tuning pin and pin block problem

Gordon Holley gwholley@hi-techhousing.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 14:57:49 -0500

Hello List - TUNING PIN AND PIN BLOCK PROBLEM

=20

I have a church as a customer, with a Yamaha C3 Grand, SN710484, =
approximately 25 years old, which I have tuned frequently since Mar =
2002, 5 times in 2004.  This grand sits in a sanctuary that will seat =
500, a choir of 80, with a large organ, space for a 16 piece orchestra =
and a large pulpit stage area.

            This piano has been in the relative same space for 25 years. =
 The church does not have any moisture/humidity control provisions, does =
have a forced air heating system and air conditioning.

            The piano has a Dampp Chaser, installed some 12 to 15 years =
ago. However, on my first

tuning appointment I checked the water level and evaporator pads, the =
water level was very low and the pads were dry and crusty.  After =
talking with the maintenance people, they changed the pads and have been =
very good about keeping the water level up.

            Facts:

1.                  Even with the Dampp Chaser, the water evaporates in =
a day or two.=20

2.                  The relative humidity cannot be raised above the =
32-33% mark.

3.                  I suggested they purchase a vaporizer to supplement =
the Dampp Chaser.

They purchased a vaporizer, kept the water level up, the unit ran 24 =
hours

a day, and within a 2 week period the relative humidity taken directly =
under=20

the piano never raised above 35%, and the fan motor burned out.

Now we have a large plastic tub under the piano with water and the RH =
will not

raise above 33-34%.

4.                  I tuned the piano on December 4th, 2004 and was =
called back to tune the piano=20

again last night, one month later, and the piano averaged 7 cents flat =
with wild unisons.

5.                  MAIN CONCERN AND PROBLEM.

I've noticed since March 2002, a problem with moving the tuning pins and =
the problem has worsened since then.  The pins will not easily move, =
first movement down with the pitch and then bringing the pitch back up, =
the sound from the pin in the pin block is like a finger snap or like a =
spike being pulled out of a piece of southern yellow pine. =20

And even after getting the pin to release, and pulled above pitch, I can =
still get the snap sound and a jerk movement in attempting to pull the =
wire above pitch. Not an easy smooth movement.

This problem is now at the point that at least 1/3 of the pins are =
affected this way.

6.                  I've discussed a bottom cover, a skirt, keeping the =
piano closed during all non use=20

periods.

            Questions:

1.                  What has happened to the pin block?

2.                  Will this condition, in the pin block, continue to =
worsen?

3.                  Is there anything that can be suggested to correct =
this problem with the pin block?

=20

Many thanks,

Gordon Holley, Associate Member, Indiana Chap 467