recycled balance hole repair

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 11:13:40 -0800

Hey! all you lovable piano technicians. <G>

I'm doing the replacement repair ala Spurlock on the balance rail hole and
was looking for the ideal wood to use.

I can go talk to an old friend who is a logger and has his own mill and get
some nice tight grain Sugar Pine but I'm not sure if grain orientation is
important. Plus it's work to reduce the stuff.

The Bass wood might be hard to find nearby. Wal-mart is the closest thing we
have to a craft store. Would they have it?

What I would like to do is cut up some old keys I have. The grain is going
the right direction and the width is already there. Or maybe some soundboard
ribs. A good idea?

Keith Roberts