Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:11:09 -0600

Horace:

I have not perceived your skepticism as negativism.  I think that in
doing research one must walk the straight line between skepticism and
enthusiasm, otherwise the research findings will not be objective.

The success that adult small-handed people have found is, by now, pretty
well established.  They can do more repertoire without injury on the
small keyboard and still function very well on larger keyboards albeit
with a reduced repertoire.  This research will continue, but the results
so far have been very good.

The research on children starting on small keyboards is pretty new...at
least here.  There is certainly precedent for this in the work done with
other instruments.  1/2, 3/4 and other size violins and cellos have had
a long history with success.  The truth is, growing is somewhat
traumatic.  Teen age boys who are somewhat larger today than they were
yesterday exhibit a clumsiness that is at times rather comical.
However, eventually most of them do adjust to their size and become
coordinated or even graceful as adults.  Humans adapt.

Most of us don't get to observe many really new research projects.  I
feel privileged to be watching this here.  It has been fun.

dave