Whippen Rail

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:23:06 -0800

RicB asked: "Another little tidbit pops up with this Petrof. In checking =
the <<magic=20
line>> from balance rail pin to whippen center I find that there is no =
way=20
on this earth I will ever get the capstan/whippen heel on the line at =
half=20
blow. It appears that the whippen rail is just plain to low.

I havent ever fooled around with changing the height of the whippen rail =
so=20
I would appreciate any input/advice any of you care to give."

Ric,
At present, I'm making an action for an 1863, 8' Chickering. I'm using =
Renner parts and Rick Wheeler Keys. One of the things that Rick =
calculated, was that the Whippen Foot was too tall. I made a simple jig =
and ground those puppie off w/a radius. Then, the under felt was =
attached. Next, was attaching the new whippen foot felt. As I have found =
that the Renner Whippen Foot felt has two problems, (too course & not =
stretched), this solved several problems. Once that was done, Rick rated =
the action geometry at a 9+, (a scale of 1-10, with 10 being optimum). =
As this is a retro-fit, that was the best we could do. But, I know this =
sucker will play very nicely.[G]
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police