Whippen Rail

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:09:46 +0100

Hey there Joe, thanks for the info.

Joe Garrett wrote:

> RicB wrote:
> I havent ever fooled around with changing the height of the whippen
> rail so
> I would appreciate any input/advice any of you care to give."
>
> Ric,
> At present, I'm making an action for an 1863, 8' Chickering. I'm using
> Renner parts and Rick Wheeler Keys. One of the things that Rick
> calculated, was that the Whippen Foot was too tall.

I guess this is one of the things I am looking for then Joe,  just what
is the calculation for deciding the height of the whippen foot.  Jim
Ellis mentioned something along these lines in a private post to me and
I'm sure its a valid enough variable... but I'm not going to start
grinding off wood unless I know how much and why :)

That said... these whippens have a pretty short foot as it were. When
first  I checked the cushion/capstan intersect was right at or barely
above the line with the key at rest. So I suppose if anything the foot
would have to be lengthened. I could probably replace with a bit thicker
felt I suppose. That wouldnt hurt anyways as the origional felt was
realllllly sloppily installed.. glue litterally everywhere... including
on the felt that touches the capstan. Wonderful stuff :)

Still,  this has got me to thinking there must be a fairly
straightforward way of calculating the height of the whippen center for
a given action.

Cheers
RicB