Una Corda Adjustments and Christian Zimmermann

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 09:56:31 +0100

Horace Greeley wrote:

> Hi, Ric,
>

> Not sure you picked up on what Zimmerman is alleged to be doing - he
> is not using the Steinbuhler keyboard.  He is using a standard
> keyboard/keyset/etc, equipped with a Hamburg/Renner action/hammers,
> which he personally prefers to work on himself.  And, depending on
> one's ear, he is either successful or not.  No, the response is not
> the same from one box to the next.

I had thought this was the Steinbuhler he was freighting around, but the
thrust remains the same as you point out. As long as he's happy all is
well I suppose, but it would be interesting to see / hear how he adjusts
for the response differences that must be rather significant from time
to time as a result of this practice.

> Still, these kinds of artistic choices are not at all new.  Any number
> of well-known artists have had very idiosyncratic "setups" without
> which, they felt, they could not possibly perform well.  Eugene
> Istomin was one - his issue, which he clearly acknowledged as a
> neurotic need, was the length of the head of the key.  He could, and
> repeatedly did, from across a room, tell you the length of the
> key-head within 0.5mm.  Another, who is still active, so will remain
> nameless, has a physical condition that requires a very non-standard
> combination of rep. spring tension and check height in order to play.
> (No, it's not Leon Fleischer.)  Still another, poor sap, can feel the
> placement of the fly/jack under the knuckle within less than 0.5mm.
> The list goes on; but the point is that this is what we are paid to do
> - interpret the artistic needs in terms of what a given instrument can
> do, and then _do it_...no matter how ridiculous (to us) it may or may
> not seem.  What's important is the music - if that cannot happen,
> what's the point?  And, of course, that is where the value judgements
> come in.  At the end of the day, whether it is one's self or the
> artist who does the work in a given situation, what is the end musical
> product?  Does one come away moved, or enlightened, or swept up...or,
> bored, annoyed, etc.?

Boy you said a mouthful here Horace.  Personally, I find most of these
kinds of situations to be interesting and challanging in the positive
sense. I think its fair to say I have little taste for the <<one way>>
philosophy of how to do things. Be it soundboard construction methods,
voicing, tuning... or just about anything else... diversity is
absolutely necessary in my book.  As long as one achieves what one sets
out to, and does a darned fine job of it then you've done as good as can
be done me thinks.

That said... these <<idiosyncratic setsups>> as you put it can get kind
of strange, and at some point one has to wonder if it is in its place to
object. We just had a recent discussion over here on the Nordic list
about a pianist who sprays rather generous amounts of hair spray on
keyboards that have plastic key coverings because he means these are too
slick. This is a fellow who will not play on anything but a Hamburg D
99 % of the time.  Probably not a real big deal here... but then
somebody has to clean this stuff up, or pay to have it done.

Examples abound, so when you ask   "Does one come away moved, or
enlightened, or swept up...or, bored, annoyed, etc.? "  I suppose the
answer varies with the situation as much as its dependant on your
general mind set.

Cheers
RicB