'New' Schumann

Ray T. Bentley ray@bentley.net
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:16:28 -0600

The Schumann was made by Samick.  We got a 48 inch studio for our church
fellowship hall about 10-12 years ago.  It serves the purpose.  I would
suspect that Samick may have replacement strings for it.

Ray

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ray T. Bentley, RPT
Registered Piano Tuner-Technician
Alton, IL
ray@bentley.net
www.ray.bentley.net <http://www.ray.bentley.net/>

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Monty
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 4:28 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: 'New' Schumann

I've come across a couple of uprights, owned locally by the public
school district, that are new Schumann's.  This is the U 822 model,
Serial #HHA01131.  As I've gone in to tune, I've noticed that both have
had bass strings broken and repaired, roughly in the same area.  One of
them is missing an F2 string.  I'm guessing that these bass strings were
broken in the move, or delivery.

I'll order another to replace it with, but I'm curious if 1) this has
been an issue that has come up before with the Schumann, 2) who now
makes this critter, and 3) where are they manufactured?  By looking at
the felts, cabinet, and hammers, my guess is that it is a fairly recent
model, within the past 8-10 years.

My primary vocation is as a music minister in a church, and I've only
been tuning 'on the side' for about 9 or 10 months, although I've played
for 30 years.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Monty Nichols