'New' Schumann

Monty sharonandmonty@hotmail.com
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:28:25 -0600

I've come across a couple of uprights, owned locally by the public school
district, that are new Schumann's.  This is the U 822 model, Serial
#HHA01131.  As I've gone in to tune, I've noticed that both have had bass
strings broken and repaired, roughly in the same area.  One of them is
missing an F2 string.  I'm guessing that these bass strings were broken in
the move, or delivery.

I'll order another to replace it with, but I'm curious if 1) this has been
an issue that has come up before with the Schumann, 2) who now makes this
critter, and 3) where are they manufactured?  By looking at the felts,
cabinet, and hammers, my guess is that it is a fairly recent model, within
the past 8-10 years.

My primary vocation is as a music minister in a church, and I've only been
tuning 'on the side' for about 9 or 10 months, although I've played for 30
years.

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Monty Nichols