Steinway rebuild parts supplier poll.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 27 Dec 2005 18:36:21 -0700

Well, Dale, as we say here-bouts........ Nada. Zip. No-ting.
We replace the cloth and the pins, and we haven't had any problems. Perhaps
our 18% ambient RH helps. Don't know. We've been rebushing S&S verdigris
parts for six years, although much more in the last year, and haven't
gotten any feedback about re-infection. In years past (30ish), I never had
any problem even when I just repinned, so long as I washed the cloth with
1,1,1, TCE. Not the friendliest stuff to have around, but effective and
safe when used carefully.
If you'd like, I'll send you a sample, and you can try to induce verdigris
in your climate. It would be neat to find out, no?
I agree that using the high quality original, (often lighter), part is nice
when the geometry is right. I really like whips from the teens and
twenties. The sandblasting doesn't make them white, and I would hate to use
bleach, but they look just fine. All new cloth and skin, burnished jack
tips and balance, etc.

Again, let me know if you want a sample. I guess that goes for anyone that
has a serious interest, although I can imagine Salvador's face when I tell
him we need to do another couple of hundred freebies!

Later,
Guy Nichols