false beats from ?? -...

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:45:47 EST

HI Ed
  By the way thanks for the usual & thoro  in  depth reply.
  Dale Erwin

Inre  False Beating, Dale writes:
<< Or as I said in my previous post that  nothing you do  short of changing
the
false, overly stretched  & deformed string  will help. Any body out there
tried
this  remedy? Or are we only going to  consider the bridge pin /ca gule
otion?

I have replaced strings that  were beating so falsely that I couldn't
tune them, and the brand new wire  had the same problem!   I have taken the
bridge pins out and  renotched and repinned a note on a bridge and put the
old wire
back up to  tension and the falseness was gone. I assume I didn't pull the
wire back  exactly to its original position, so there had to be some
deformity in
the  speaking lengths.  Didn't seem to matter.  The note was far cleaner
than
before.
I have gotten the same results  from everything I have tried with false
beating strings.  Seating the  strings with a very light tap sometimes makes
big change, and sometimes  nothing.  Sometimes a tap on the bridge pin solves
all  problems.  Sometimes new wire helps.
I  have several high notes on a concert piano here that are untuneable.
When I address this over the break, I will not waste time on trying to see
what particular remedy works.  The first thing to try is one drop of  super
thin
CA at the base of the bridge pin.  Not because this has  any historical
weight
behind it, but rather, because for the investment of  time, this gives, by
far,
the best chance the falseness will stop.   If that doesn't help, then I go
ahead and do everything.
I will, instead, check the bearing, remove the wire and  renotch.  I
will either repin the bridge for that note or treat the  wood before driving
the
originals back it.  I will inspect as well as  fondle the capo bar, searching
for anything amiss.  I restring  it.  If it still sounds like before, I check
for nearly sympathetic  lengths in the backscale.  Sometimes there is a need
"detune" an  aliquot's note, which I do with a slight kink in the duplex
length.
I tune  it around some, seeing what extraneous woes can be cancelled by
controlled  mis-tuning.
Then I move on, no need being a damn fool  about it.  False beats are a
fact of a tuners life.  They take  more of a toll on the beginning tuner
seeking perfection than the older  one who knows when to quit.

Hope all have a happy Christmas,  Kwanzaa, Hanukah, whatever boat you are
floating in.

Ed Foote RPT