The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:23:04 +0100

Hi Barbara

For what its worth, I also use a kind of  jerking style and find it to
be the only thing that yields the stability I want. Tho I dont
necessarily come down from above. Keeping slight pressure on the pin
downwards (outwards on the grand.. or towards the string) while moving
the pin apparently counters the need to <<untwist>> or release any
tension in the pin.  Actually I experience often as not that the pitch
will rise a little after leaving the pin if it does anything.  One trick
I sometimes use to check whether got the pin where I want it is to see
if equal (slight) pressure up and down on the pin changes the pitch from
the desired pitch in equal amounts.

I agree also on the tuning unisons as I go bit.

All this said, I have begun to speculate in the recent past whether or
not jerking the pins into place... even with tiny jerks as I use somehow
contributes to the development of <<popping pins>>  i.e. pins that
simply will not turn smoothly.  Pure speculation at this point... or
perhaps not even more then a sneaking suspicion

Cheers
RicB

Barbara Richmond writes:

OK, another voice.  Smooth pull rarely works for me and has never
worked  for me on a S&S.  The only way to stability for me is the jerk
method, coming down from above pitch and <good> test blows.  One D I
take care of in a concert setting has plenty of tuning issues--pins
bearing on the plate, popping pins, all our favorites, yet the tunings
hold up beautifully using this technique (knock on wood).  Oh, yes, and
tuning stability went way up when I switched to tuning unisons as I go.
Someone suggested a drop of CA for the popping pins.  I haven't tried it
yet.  Anyone?

Barbara Richmond, RPT