The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:00:25 -0600

Hi Ric,

I'll just add that since I took some years off to do the mommy thing, I was
very aware of having to <remember> what my hammer technique really was.
Before my leave, it was so natural and fast, that for years I hadn't thought
about it at all.

When I got back to work, I got hired to tune the S&S D that others claimed
was un-tunable (it's not really un-tunable, just troublesome).  My good
friend, Mr. Bill, quizzed me about what the piano's problems were and what I
was actually doing with that lever.  As usual, his advice was right on the
mark, and it was just what I had been taught earlier, but I had sort of
<forgotten> how important it really was.   (tsk...tsk...how could I admit
that?)  Before my leave, I tuned, I was fast, it worked.  After my leave, I
had to <think> about what I was doing.  Geeze...  :-)   Can't say that I
have my pre-leave speed (which I find annoying), but the control &
stability are there and that's what counts.

I've never considered that the jerk and bump hammer technique might cause
popping pins.  I always thought it had something to do with the
stringing/pinning & original dealing with the pinblock process.  Can't say
I've ever worked on a piano that developed the problem during my tenure of
servicing it--though the longest, uninterrupted stretch of time I'm talking
about would be 14 years.

Dang, I have to get to work...I wish I was done, I need to get ready for
Christmas!  Yikes.

Barbara Richmond, RPT