The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:00:04 +0100

Hi Alan

These words (below)  really about sum it all up.  Its not really about
the individual piano, or tuning style. Its about each tuner finding
his/her way of getting a feel for exactly where the pin is positioned
and how to accurately manipulate it.  I've seen many a tech who swears
that the jerk style is the only way, the smooth style is the only way,
and impact hammer is the only tool, a wand... etc etc etc.  It seems to
escape many that these are expressions only of what works best at any
given time for the particular tech at hand and simply have no universal
meaning whatsoever.  We easily confuse enthusiasms in wanting to share
with others what we find works for us for some methodology that <<must>>
work for everyone. The latter just doesnt really exist.

Your generalization below is the only one we can really make and is the
most important point (IMHO) to make to any beginning / intermediate
tuner. Watch / register / and think about the results of any movement
you do.  As time goes by you will develop a technique that gives you
better control.  But never stop up and think <<you have it now>>.  Just
keep on being observant and critical (in the positive sense of the
word). If you continue to believe you can achieve even higher levels of
tuning stability... you probably will do exactly that.

Nice words Alan

Cheers
RicB

Alan Barnard writes:
I have come to believe that ONLY tuning many pianos, with some
experimentation and active THINKING about what the pins feel like, what
different hammers feel like, etc., gives one the real skill necessary to
confidently approach any piano and know that you can create a good and
STABLE tuning. In short, I don't think you develop a "technique" with
the hammer that is unique to you, unique to a type of hammer, unique to
any brand of pianos, or unique to any piano, for that matter.

What we must develop (it only comes with much experience) is the ability
to FINESSE each pin into place--regardless of pin feel, string friction,
etc.--based on the tactile and aural feedback THAT PARTICULAR pin is
giving you as you tune it.

Though there are technical skills to learn and science and theory, I
strongly believe that ultimately the ability to tune quickly, well, and
with stability, is a rather highly refined ART. And it just flat takes
time and experience to develop any art form.