The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:50:01 -0600

OK, another voice.  Smooth pull rarely works for me and has never worked =
for me on a S&S.  The only way to stability for me is the jerk method, =
coming down from above pitch and <good> test blows.  One D I take care =
of in a concert setting has plenty of tuning issues--pins bearing on the =
plate, popping pins, all our favorites, yet the tunings hold up =
beautifully using this technique (knock on wood).  Oh, yes, and tuning =
stability went way up when I switched to tuning unisons as I go.  =
Someone suggested a drop of CA for the popping pins.  I haven't tried it =
yet.  Anyone?

Barbara Richmond, RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 9:55 PM
  Subject: Re: The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

  Horace (didn't he send everyone west?) was kind enough to send this =
only to me, thinking to spare my feelings. But, heck, WHAT feelings? <G> =
More to the point, let's get some comment on it; else how shall we learn =

  It does seem to be stable for me and I have assumed it is because I =
whack the note good so it settles while I'm there, not after I leave. I =
always run through and clean up/double check unisons as a last step =
anyway, maybe that helps.

  Other voices, please.

  Alan Barnard
  Salem, Missouri

  P.S. Besides, there has been far too little controversy on the list =
lately. It can get kind of stale after awhile ... cows taste good! =
...reverse crown is okay! ...CA doesn't work! ...false beats are caused =
by aliens! ...APSCO people were nicer than Schaff people!  EBT tuning is =
best!        See? Now, THIS is fun, wheeee ...

    ----- Original Message -----=20