The Art & Science, was RE: Setting tuning pins

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 22:29:16 -0600

Alan,

You should feel the pin move, then work with the lever to remove any "twist"
in the pin. You get the feel of things pretty soon. On some Steinways, just
flexing the pin a little will make a big pitch change. But, that change
won't be permanent unless the pin moves in the block. This always works well
for me. But, there may be other methods that work equally well. It's easy
enough to check with an ETD (which I've done many times - just to be sure -
'cause it can be rather tricky).

John Formsma

P.S. (Buffalo is tastier than cow.)

  _____