Help regulating sostenuto

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:01:30 -0800

Mike asked: "
It's an old Knabe with non-pivoting tabs. Regulation accomplished so far:
1. Dampers lift evenly from keys.
2. Dampers lift evenly from pedal, not quite as high as from keys.
3. Sostenuto picks up dampers from either Key-lift height and raises them
above Key-lift height so that when additional notes are played, the top of
those tabs don't hit the bottom of the sostenuto blade.

I'm happy with how all of that is working, but the problem is in setting
the damper upstop rail. When high enough to leave room for sostenuto
operation, it's too high for normal playing. Or I could set it for normal
playing, compromising touch when the sostenuto is in use. What do you all
do?

thanks

Mike,
I'd suggest start by adjusting the pedals to coincide with the key lift. If the pedals/trapwork isn't in sync, then you'll be having problems in one area or another, IMO.
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I