Damper Upstop Rail Adjustment

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:15:30 -0800

Paul said: "
As far as the upstop rail is concerned, you need to set it by using a
black key fully depressed. Leave a very minimal travel of the damper while
the key is depressed. It's ok to have the dampers lift minimally, assuming
the damper felt fully clears the strings. If your trapwork is properly
adjusted, you won't have a problem."

Paul,
Totally agree.<G> Yesterday, I was tuning a Kawai KG-2C and hated the touch. Checked the Upstop clearance...sure enough, way too high! Right now it's colder'n hell and the wind is blowing. I was in a nice warm Sanctuary and really didn't want to schlep out to the car to get my modified clothes pins, just to set the darned rail. Soooooo? What to do? <G>
As I carry 6 wide rubber mutes in my tuning kit, I thought...why not? Played the sharps at the end of each section, put a mute under the felt, to the height where the damper heads no longer winked. As this piano has one continuous upstop rail, all I had to do was loosen all of the screws and let it drop onto the raised damper levers. Cinched the screws, reinserted the action for testing and...tada!
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I