false beats from ?? -...

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:21:32 +0100

Hi Dale

Agreed on all points.  Which really just further goes to strengthen my
skepticism to the loose pin thingy.  There are just to many other things
that happen that seem to cause the same kind of falsness.  Ok.. I admit
it seems sexy enough to jump to the conclusion that loose pins are the
problem.  Over pull can stress the pin one can argue and cause it to
become just loose enough.  But then again you can double check this and
find the pin is not loose. Or you can double check in other ways I've
written in a couple other posts.  Something about the loose pin idea
just doesnt quite wash.  None of this means we shouldnt use tricks we
know help aliviate the sypmtom mind you.  It just goes to looking
further as to what the root cause of this kind of falsness is. Same
thing really goes to the stringing processes.  If over pull or
artificial bending around the hitch pin contributes to falsness, then we
should avoid doing so.  That doesnt mean we understand whats really at
work tho.

There is another problem with the loose pin causes false beats idea...
there is no plausable mechanism for how loose pins cause this beating
given.  In fact there is no mechanism for how this should work given at
all as far as I can see.  Its just seemingly ..... accepted.  Looks like
more of magic past to me.  Personally I have a feeling that these
various causes and manipulatives we observe have to do with some
mechanical coupling problem we have yet to identify.  Perhaps it is some
kind of phasing problem we are looking at.  If we could identify the
exact and direct cause... then we could eliminate this kind of falsness
every time... once and for all.

Since we cant at present... seems obvious we havent identified the root
cause.

Cheers
RicB

Hi Ric
   I have waited for this subject to come up again  because I believe there
is a cause that I've not seen addressed & fits into  what your
experience has
born out.  While I believe a tight solid pin,  proper down bearing & bridge
angle are absolutely needed for good  string mechanics there are
conditions where
all the right conditions for pure  strings exists but the wires are as
false
as Dollie Partons ........wigs. Grin.
     I believe that a large part of string  falseness is caused or
created in
the stringing process in 2 ways.
    1st, the string having a natural coil &  memory should be installed by
allowing it to freely wrap around the hitch pin in  the natural bend or or
coiled condition in which it takes as it comes off the  coil. Or so as
its' not
bent back against itself. I believe this keeps the wire  from excessive
twisting
as it is pulled to pitch.
    Now if your not buying that one then here  is the no.2 reason is ,&
I am
absoultely convinced of  this.
     I believe over pulling the string too  far above pitch in the
stringing
process  deforms the string. Its' that  simple.
  We once had a stringer who was very good but we had  many false
beats.  One
day in conversation about this I  asked if  there was anything she could be
doing to create this & she said no.   She said I always pull the strings
a half
step sharp of there intended final  pitch as a I string just like you told
me.
    I said ^%$##!#$&*(*_) Slight  communications flop. I had told her to
pull
the strings only up to pitch as she  went.  SO after that the false beat
issues were greatly reduced.  Also  we swicthed to the Mapes Gold wire &
I feel it
produces even less falseness  than the Roslau wire.
  My 2 cents worth for what its' worth
 Dale Erwin