false beats from??

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:06:38 +0100

Hi Andrew

I dont see a down side to useing CA glue either. Clearly in significant
numbers of instances the application of CA yeilds a result that shows a
lesser degree of false beats.  So hey... use it by all means.  For that
matter... as far as that same scope goes... I aggree with Ron N in that
useing larger bridge pins is rather a waste of time.  On the other
hand... there may be another root issue at hand that really causes the
false beat that perhaps a large pin in itself addresses. We dont really
know. And thats my point... I dont think we know that loose pins in
themselves are a determinant in causeing false beats.  In fact I rather
doubt it because I can find plenty of examples of loose pins that dont
exhibit any such falsness.  I've even gone so far as to purposely
install over loose pins... as in very over loose to check that out and
find very often that either no falseness occurs, or even in some cases
that false beats that were evident dissapear.  This tells me that loose
pins per se are probably not the direct cause.

But hey !! grin.. as long as CA'ng seems to address whatever is the real
cause to the degree it evidently does... then by all means   use it.  I
do all the time.

Cheers
RicB

Ric,
I readily agree that CAing bridge pins will not necessarily remove
all false beats.  Some times that problem isn't at the bridge,
sometimes its at the capo or agraffe and sometime it is sympathetic
beating from a duplex, front or rear (design issue).

I have serviced a piano where bridge cap replacement was not in the
budget.  There were cracks around the bridge pins in the treble and
it was terribly noisy.  In desperation I gave it as much CA to drink
as it would take.  The next day I stopped by to check it out.  I'd
say 95% of  it gone.  The rest I can work with.  Maybe even
reduce.  Does CAing the pins work?  Has for me.  100%?  No.  But well
enough to add to the arsenal.  I can't see a downside to this.

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson