Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:19:49 -0800

The Ronsen Wurzens are a pretty good choice although the new Yamaha =
hammers
are not as hard as they used to be.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20

		-----Original Message-----
		From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org
[mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]=20
		Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 3:21 PM
		To: pianotech@ptg.org
		Subject: Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

		Hey,=20
		I'm planning to install new hammers on a 20+ year old Yamaha
C3.   Nice piano, good power, just has worn out hammers and key =
bushings.=20
		The least complicated thing to do is install Yamaha hammers,
and in this case they would be 'pre-hung' from Yamaha onto new Yamaha =
shanks
& flanges.=20

		OR....
		I could install some other type of hammer, Renner, Abel,
Wurzen (haven't tried yet) or even Steinway, onto the existing
shanks/flanges to go after a different sound.
		(Knuckles are decent enough to reuse existing shanks, even
though I would rather just go with all new parts. ) =20

		Question is, does anyone have insights on the benefits of
putting different hammers (i.e. non hard-pressed types) onto an=20
		excellent Yamaha action?   ( I love the precision of the
Japanese/Yamaha, but I also serve several pianists who are dyed in the =
wool
Steinway people. who don't care for the tone of Asian hammers, even =
after
careful-balanced voicing).=20

		I want to offer some different options to my customer, while
being careful not to promise something I can't completely predict.=20

		I thought one possible course would be to offer them a
different sounding hammer, onto their existing shanks/flanges,=20
		and if we ultimately aren't satisfied with it, we could go
back and do the uncomplicated Yamaha pre-hung hammers as originally =
planned.

		It's a bit experimental, because I can't promise that
they'll love it.  Because of that, I would offer them that option at a
reduced
		rate.   My sense is that we might really end up with an
incredible piano, with a wider dynamic range, but retaining the Japanese
precision.
		With a reduced rate, I feel I am 'compensating' the customer
to some degree for taking some chances with me, on a more experimental
strategy.=20

		What would you do? =20
		I have a good relationship with this customer, and built up
trust enough that they would stick with me through an 'experiment'.=20
		I always try to be as upfront as possible about what I can
promise and predict...and what I cannot.=20

		Thanks in advance !!

		Best regards,
		Brad Smith, RPT=20
		www.SmithPiano.com << File: ATT00002.txt >>=20