Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:10:27 +0100

Hi Brad,

I think in your case I would opt for the easiest way out and buy an =20
original set of Yamaha hammers, glued and all (complete hammer =20
assembly).
First of all it is easy and saves you a lot of extra work and time, =20
and secondly, it always works out fine.
It might be possible that you will have to move the action maybe 0,5 =20
to 1 mm to the front (in the treble), because I noticed that they =20
changed the hammer position slightly in the highest treble, or you =20
will have to take off a few hammers and re-glue them.
The hammers Richard Brekne wrote about are not available in the US, =20
and the Ronsen hammers you will have to glue yourself on the new =20
shanks you have to order as well.
Although the Yamaha hammers of today are not exactly the same as 20 =20
years ago, they are still of reasonable and predictable quality.
The final outcome depends on one's skill, of course.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

R. Vinkeleskade 1-3hg