Yamaha action with Steinway/European hammers

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 19:56:14

Hi Brad,

The prehung hammers may not fit quite correctly as action geometry was
changed (I believe in 1992). You may have to change the whippens too, to
make this work correctly.

At 06:20 PM 12/17/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hey,
>I'm planning to install new hammers on a 20+ year old Yamaha C3.   Nice
>piano, good power, just has worn out hammers and key bushings.
>The least complicated thing to do is install Yamaha hammers, and in this
>case they would be 'pre-hung' from Yamaha onto new Yamaha shanks & flanges.
>
>OR....
>I could install some other type of hammer, Renner, Abel, Wurzen (haven't
>tried yet) or even Steinway, onto the existing shanks/flanges to go after a
>different sound.
>(Knuckles are decent enough to reuse existing shanks, even though I would
>rather just go with all new parts. )
>
>Question is, does anyone have insights on the benefits of putting different
>hammers (i.e. non hard-pressed types) onto an
>excellent Yamaha action?   ( I love the precision of the Japanese/Yamaha,
>but I also serve several pianists who are dyed in the wool Steinway people.
>who don't care for the tone of Asian hammers, even after careful-balanced
>voicing).

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@yahoo.com	http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7