false beats from??

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:54:13 EST

Hi Ric
   I have waited for this subject to come up again  because I believe there
is a cause that I've not seen addressed & fits into  what your experience has
born out.  While I believe a tight solid pin,  proper down bearing & bridge
angle are absolutely needed for good  string mechanics there are conditions where
all the right conditions for pure  strings exists but the wires are as false
as Dollie Partons ........wigs. Grin.
     I believe that a large part of string  falseness is caused or created in
the stringing process in 2 ways.
    1st, the string having a natural coil &  memory should be installed by
allowing it to freely wrap around the hitch pin in  the natural bend or or
coiled condition in which it takes as it comes off the  coil. Or so as its' not
bent back against itself. I believe this keeps the wire  from excessive twisting
as it is pulled to pitch.
    Now if your not buying that one then here  is the no.2 reason is ,& I am
absoultely convinced of  this.
     I believe over pulling the string too  far above pitch in the stringing
process  deforms the string. Its' that  simple.
  We once had a stringer who was very good but we had  many false beats.  One
day in conversation about this I  asked if  there was anything she could be
doing to create this & she said no.   She said I always pull the strings a half
step sharp of there intended final  pitch as a I string just like you told
me.
    I said ^%$##!#$&*(*_) Slight  communications flop. I had told her to pull
the strings only up to pitch as she  went.  SO after that the false beat
issues were greatly reduced.  Also  we swicthed to the Mapes Gold wire & I feel it
produces even less falseness  than the Roslau wire.
  My 2 cents worth for what its' worth
 Dale Erwin

Because  for an explanation or theory to have any meaning, it has to be
consequent  in dealing with the phenonema it attempts to explain. There
are too many  cases where this particular theory doesnt hold up.  You can
tighten a  loose pin without solving the problem, you can experience a
clean string  with absurdly loose pins.  The  <<sometimes>> effect of
tightening a loose pin or putting pressure on it points (at least me) in
another direction.

If the tight pin theory is really valid, then in  nearly all cases... if
not all...  a false beat will occur when a pin  is loose and it will be
eliminated upon tightening the pin. Since this is  quite clearly, for not
to say obviously not true... then the theory has a  major problem.

There is no doubt something that changes sometimes when  manipulating the
pin/pin hole relationship in various fashions.  But  it I dont think its
even close to been really shown that its simply a  matter of the pin
being loose. Not by a long  shot.

Cheers
RicB