false beats from??

William Benjamin pianoboutique@comcast.net
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:25:21 -0500

Ron, Rick and others,

In my way of thinking, False Beets come from many things, but loose bridge
pins cause buzzing.

What am I missing?

William

PIANO BOUTIQUE
William Benjamin
Piano Tuner Extraordinaire
www.pianoboutique.biz
The tuner alone,
preserves the tone.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Ric Brekne
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 8:35 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: false beats from??

Ron... it is precisely that I have done this, and looked at a variety of
conditions and found they do not always give the stated results that my
doubtfull attitude towards the loose pin theory was born.

The fact is that it is easy to show many exceptions.  I know, because
I've pulled too many pins, CA's too many pins, tried too many undersized
pins, tried too many conditions that show results that dont fit into the
theory.

Obviously something is going on when the fallness does get reduced....
but just what is another question entirely.

Dont get me wrong.  As long as one finds a significant reduction in
falseness as a result of the treatment I think it wise to put the trick
into ones bag of tricks.  But I dont think we should just fold our arms
and feel satisified that we understand what causes false beats by the
same token.  We may end up finding out that falseness is a coupling
problem that can be aliviated in a number of ways. In fact heres one
that you may not have tried that I know works often as not. Put out a
pin (loose or not) that terminates a string with false beats and put a
slight bend in it in the middle, then re-insert the same pin.  Also try
doing the opposite of what we are told to do... make the pin looser.
You'd might be suprised how often this later <<works>>

Cheers
RicB

Ron O writes:

I suspect that you haven't applied CA to a piano which displayed
falseness due to loose bridge pins - following a heavy screw-driver
test. We've used CA numerous times and it significantly reduces
falseness and cleans up tonal quality at the same time.