Tuning time

BRETT GLASS bgpianoman@email.com
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 15:25:09 +0800

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas to All ,

And to Ken I'm not missing the SNOW !

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them . I seem to
have slowed down . More so on the quality instruments . Like today I was
tuning a customers Steinway L (1972)  for the second time . I don't
remember it taking as long last year .  This time the 5th & 6th octives
had so many false beats . I stoped to seat the strings & bridge pins .
Then I got annoyed by a clicking noise on G-6 that turned out to be a
loose hammer flange bushing .

Then as I got to the lower bass another noise the keybed was knocking .
Maybe the Dampp-Chaser system I installed last year made these things
show up. All I know is I ended up running about an hour behind .

Then this afternoon I ran into a KG-1 I tune every 3 months . New DC
system last fall ???? wild strings 5th 6th & 7th . I ended up seating all
the bridge pins & strings it was easier to dress all the strings & then
tune . Then a buzzing sound from the case. Had to tighten every
screw tell I finally happened to kick a small fan with a metal cage
setting under the piano . Fixed it ! This piano is used for Jazz gigs ,
Now everyone will wounder why the pianist is sweating . I tossed the fan
.Another hour behind ! I seem to be spending more time on the grands I
tune then before . The spinets well I do my best . Even a nice U-3 or 1
will slow me down with one thing or another .

Am I just hearing better ? Has my experience gotten to the point where I
find more things that I would have missed before (most likely). I know
that most of the pianist don't hear these things . I'm also afraid that
the ones that do feel that they got a poor tuning . Before I got into
tuning as a player I didn't hear 90 percent of what I do now . And I'm
sure that most people grow accustomed to what they are play day in & out.
They must because when I'm done with every piano I play it . Most of the
spinets I hate . They think it sounds great . Even the little spinet I
played for years as a kid hurts to play now . Back then it was great !

At what point do you decide to charge for these little extras . Or should
you cover your tunings by fixing the little things . For now thats where
I'm at . It sure can make you run behind though .

Thanks for the input on reselling services . I'm sure now that I'm not
charging enough .

Brett Glass

A Sharp Piano Service Maui

PS: I won't tell you how I fixed the loose bushing other than to say I
had none with me . And most likely that flange will need to be replaced
next time it needs to be rebushed . It was loose to the wood in the
flange . I know the quick fix police are going to pull me over for
speeding to the next job . Guess

--=20