reselling the piano service

BRETT GLASS bgpianoman@email.com
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 16:50:40 +0800

Hello Everyone ,  I recently ran into a situation where I was asked if I
could lower my price so that it could be marked up . I was tuning for a
concert and the venue manager had been using another tuner for a long
time that has left the area . They had a price set up that had been in
place a long time (years) . And had not been increased . In fact the
price for in home tunings in this area was higher . And had been for over
four years . Price is not my question .

After I explained how others were marking up my work , and what I was
charging them he seemed ok with it . I live in an area where I do alot of
concert work . In fact this promoter has me set up to tune two more times
before the first of the year . But we got into a discussion about follow
ups after the rehearsal . Most of the time there is not much work needed
except when you run into that picky pianist . Or the venue is outside .
Includes more than one piano , temperature change etc. . But time is
money . Why should I set around . Sometimes I have to wait hours before I
can do the follow up . Some want it right before doors open .  Anyway
what is the most accepted practice . Charge say 1/2 of the original fee
1/3 or charge by the hour ? For the easy follow up I've gone with 1/2 .
To some that might seem like a lot but I'm actually losing money . Had I
been able to schedule two in home tunings . I'd have come out ahead .
This time of year it would be no problem . I have no openings until after
Christmas . When these concerts come up they tend to cost me money .
Taking up an afternoon because I don't know how or when I can set other
appointments . I'd like to just tell them what I charge per hour . I
don't know how many times I've got to the location only to find the piano
is not ready . Or the stage crew is working . Or I'm half way done and
they want to move the Piano .

Also what do most of you do for professional accounts . Do you discount ?
I don't . The only time I mark down my work is when I feel like it. Say a
church piano needs more work than they can afford. Or the occasional
family that might go without a piano if the cost for repairs is more than
they can afford . I only discount the tuning service for floor tunings at
dealers . I know that I'm going to get customers in return for that
work . Do any of you have any experience with your work being marked up
and resold say by a Resort  or concert hall ect.?  I do charge more for a
concert tuning but not very much more . Only about 10% more . So If they
turn around and mark that up what would be a normal markup . Say 25 % ?=20
I know that this is not really my problem . I'm just curious what others
may have seen or heard being done .One of the Piano rental companys
that I tune for marks up my tunings 25 % .

I just don't feel I should make less so they can make more . Eventhough I
do tune for them more often .

Maybe I'm looking at it all wrong . ???

Thanks for your input in advance , and have a great Christmas season !

Brett Glass

A Sharp Piano Service Maui

--=20