reselling the piano service

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:55:58 -0600

Hi Brett,

It was below zero here in Kansas City this week with almost a foot of
snow. Just to let you know what you are missing...

My relevant experience has been with a venue that does tunings that
are required by their contracts with the artists. A tuning is a
tuning, even if the last tuning was just a few hours ago. So I charge
full price for the rehearsal tuning, and full price for the "touch
up". The touch up normally requires a separate trip and lots of
waiting, so my actual time spent isn't that different between the
two. Once this year, they even changed pianos between the rehearsal
and the concert, so I was glad that I have a practice of charging
full price for the "touch up".

I am familiar with the practice of providing tunings with a rental
piano, but I'm not sure that tuning income should be shared by the
piano renter. Charge what you need to charge and if someone can still
mark up your tunings, more power to them, but if they can do that it
may suggest that our fees our too low.

Kent