FT.com article

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 19:39:42 EST

Mark
  Well it just seems that now & again every body has  a set of shanks that
tighten up & its' not just Renner. WHy is always the  question & usually without
difinitive answers but A dilute solution of  Alcohol & water is my first
choice remedy to reduce friction followed  perhaps by silicone oil mixed about 10
to 1 with tolulene. If this doesnt'  work then re- pinning is the remedy. A
production line approach to this can  usually get the job done in 3 to 4 hours &
you can then be sure of the  frictions. Hey the tone may even improve some
  Dale Erwin

encountered something  similar this past August, during a spell of
particularly high humidity. The  piano was a recently rebuilt S&S B with Renner shanks,
and although they  are usually fine I found that on the day I was there many
of them were seized  right up (less than one swing). The owner has a high-end
home recording studio  with a session scheduled for the next morning, and I had
luckily stopped that  afternoon to check the piano just to make sure that
nothing other than tuning  would be necessary. We removed the action to his
finished basement, put it  next to the dehumidifier, and when I returned in the
morning to tune, all was  fine.
- Mark  Dierauf