Petrof Quality

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 19:32:22 EST

Hi Ric
   Thanks for  the feedback. Sounds like good analysis. I'd  like to have
occasion to fix one of these as by in large I like the  sounds.
  Dale

Hi  Dale

This echos my observations in general about Petrofs.  Nice  sound picture
in general... sometimes a problem with falsness but a nice  big round
sound. But actions have problems.  In one way its a field  techs dream
because you can make such a nice difference by really slicking  out the
action.

As too your strike weights, ratio and BW.   The friction you give, added
to the general heaviness of the hammers is  going to make the thing play
like a truck.  You are left with  removing what hammer weight you can by
shaping... removing staples... etc.  or replacing heads.  The 5.3 ratio
if correct should actually nearly  be up to the  task of one quarter high
strike weights. That is to say  if you are going to use Stanwoods
maximums for FW's and a 38-40 balance  weight.  That said, the heavier
the hammer the more friction, wear  and tear problems.  If you can get
them down to three quarter mediums  I think you would find the existing

ratio quite nice and you'd lighten  up the whole scope of touchweight.

I agree... the best option is new  heads. Might I suggest getting them
through Andre ?  You can get  origional colours and to some degree the
overall dead weights you  want.  In anycase I ordered a set through him
and they came out at  one half mediums that I leaded up to three quarter
mediums. The action  plays quite nice now and looks  origional.

Cheers
RicB