FT.com article

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 20:26:26 -0500

I didn't mean to blame the Renner shanks - I think that anything would
have seized up in similar conditions. It was stinking hot so they had
opened all the windows and let all that moist air come in. I briefly
considered repining until I realized how loose they'd be in February
when the humidity drops below 20%. Treat the problem, not the symptom!

- Mark Dierauf

-----Original Message-----
From: Erwinspiano@aol.com [mailto:Erwinspiano@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 7:40 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: FT.com article

  Mark
  Well it just seems that now & again every body has a set of shanks
that tighten up & its' not just Renner. WHy is always the question &
usually without difinitive answers but A dilute solution of Alcohol &
water is my first choice remedy to reduce friction followed perhaps by
silicone oil mixed about 10 to 1 with tolulene. If this doesnt' work
then re- pinning is the remedy. A production line approach to this can
usually get the job done in 3 to 4 hours & you can then be sure of the
frictions. Hey the tone may even improve some
  Dale Erwin
encountered something similar this past August, during a spell of
particularly high humidity. The piano was a recently rebuilt S&S B with
Renner shanks, and although they are usually fine I found that on the
day I was there many of them were seized right up (less than one swing).
The owner has a high-end home recording studio with a session scheduled
for the next morning, and I had luckily stopped that afternoon to check
the piano just to make sure that nothing other than tuning would be
necessary. We removed the action to his finished basement, put it next
to the dehumidifier, and when I returned in the morning to tune, all was
fine.

- Mark Dierauf