FT.com article

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:54:51 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C5FCA6.9BDB2C10
A lovely article from today's Financial Times of London (ft.com)
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1b588c30-6859-11da-bfce-0000779e2340.html
Peruvian piano tuner's alternative medicine for a Steinway grand
By Marguerite Wolff
Published: December 9 2005 02:00 | Last updated: December 9 2005 02:00
  <http://news.ft.com/c.gif>

>From Ms Marguerite Wolff.

Sir, One of the dreads of a concert pianist is to face playing on a piano
affected by humidity. The piano can be good, bad or indifferent, small or
large, the effect is the same; sluggish sound and enormous difficulty in
playing rapid and filigree finger work.

I have just returned from Peru giving concerts and was going to give a
concert at the residence of the British ambassador, playing an exacting
programme of Chopin-Liszt.

It was a beautiful sunny day. Everything seemed perfect - a delightful,
co-operative ambassador, beautiful music room, above all a Steinway grand
that had been tuned and a humidifier used in the room. But alas, there was
tremendous humidity. I was in despair. The tuner returned and I begged him
to use all his skills and time.

He then took the entire action out of the piano and put it on a stone step
on the terrace in the sunshine for a few few hours, and said: "That will do
more than anything I can do."

That night at the concert the piano played like a dream.

Marguerite Wolff,

London W1B 1NS

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C5FCA6.9BDB2C10
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...