Petrof Quality

Ric Brekne ricbrek@broadpark.no
Fri, 09 Dec 2005 18:16:23 +0100

Hi Dale

This echos my observations in general about Petrofs.  Nice sound picture
in general... sometimes a problem with falsness but a nice big round
sound. But actions have problems.  In one way its a field techs dream
because you can make such a nice difference by really slicking out the
action.

As too your strike weights, ratio and BW.  The friction you give, added
to the general heaviness of the hammers is going to make the thing play
like a truck.  You are left with removing what hammer weight you can by
shaping... removing staples... etc. or replacing heads.  The 5.3 ratio
if correct should actually nearly be up to the  task of one quarter high
strike weights. That is to say if you are going to use Stanwoods
maximums for FW's and a 38-40 balance weight.  That said, the heavier
the hammer the more friction, wear and tear problems.  If you can get
them down to three quarter mediums I think you would find the existing
ratio quite nice and you'd lighten up the whole scope of touchweight.

I agree... the best option is new heads. Might I suggest getting them
through Andre ?  You can get origional colours and to some degree the
overall dead weights you want.  In anycase I ordered a set through him
and they came out at one half mediums that I leaded up to three quarter
mediums. The action plays quite nice now and looks origional.

Cheers
RicB

Listers
   After a recent encounter with a 10 year old 6 ft. Petrof ,my  once
fairly
high opinion of them has sunk. I generally have liked the sound of  there
bellies & the workamnship looked good but  I had the following  experience.
  The action although upon examination had a nicely done 5.3 overall
action
ration the touch was extremely heavy high 60's down & below 20 up.  The
problem is that the hammers were just way to heavy for example Note 16
was  10.5
grams. That's  hammer wt. not strike weight.
  So extrapolate those heavier than normal readings thru the rest of  the
scale.
  Since the desired service was to make it play more like a Saturn  than a
truck  & no parts were being changed the original parts were  used. The
remdey
was to  add one lead to a sparsely leaded keyboard   & then adjust the
wippen
springs. Even at that the average down up weight  was around 56 to 22 up
which
is a 39 balance weight.
 I believe  the real solution was a lighter set of hammers &  subsequent
even
leading applied with springs detached to some higher than normal  nominal
number down/up numbers & then re -tweaking the springs. for a light  bit of
wippen weight removal from the system.
  This to me was a prime example of a nicely done leverage set up that  was
doomed from the git go due to extreme hammer weights It seems  all
grand piano
actions fall within certain reasonable & typical leverages that  when
exceeded are problematic until rectified by appropriate counter  measures.