FT.com article

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 14:58:25 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_005A_01C5FCD1.04EE2ED0
  I encountered something similar this past August, during a spell of
particularly high humidity. The piano was a recently rebuilt S&S B with
Renner shanks, and although they are usually fine I found that on the
day I was there many of them were seized right up (less than one swing).
The owner has a high-end home recording studio with a session scheduled
for the next morning, and I had luckily stopped that afternoon to check
the piano just to make sure that nothing other than tuning would be
necessary. We removed the action to his finished basement, put it next
to the dehumidifier, and when I returned in the morning to tune, all was
fine.

- Mark Dierauf

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Kanter [mailto:jkanter@rollingball.com]
Sent: Friday, December 09, 2005 12:55 PM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: FT.com article

A lovely article from today's Financial Times of London (ft.com)
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/1b588c30-6859-11da-bfce-0000779e2340.html
Peruvian piano tuner's alternative medicine for a Steinway grand
By Marguerite Wolff
Published: December 9 2005 02:00 | Last updated: December 9 2005 02:00

>From Ms Marguerite Wolff.

Sir, One of the dreads of a concert pianist is to face playing on a
piano affected by humidity. The piano can be good, bad or indifferent,
small or large, the effect is the same; sluggish sound and enormous
difficulty in playing rapid and filigree finger work.
I have just returned from Peru giving concerts and was going to give a
concert at the residence of the British ambassador, playing an exacting
programme of Chopin-Liszt.
It was a beautiful sunny day. Everything seemed perfect - a delightful,
co-operative ambassador, beautiful music room, above all a Steinway
grand that had been tuned and a humidifier used in the room. But alas,
there was tremendous humidity. I was in despair. The tuner returned and
I begged him to use all his skills and time.
He then took the entire action out of the piano and put it on a stone
step on the terrace in the sunshine for a few few hours, and said: "That
will do more than anything I can do."
That night at the concert the piano played like a dream.
Marguerite Wolff,
London W1B 1NS

------=_NextPart_001_005A_01C5FCD1.04EE2ED0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...