Petrifying process of wood

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 05 Dec 2005 12:13:20 -0600

Petrification involves mineralization, usually water-born.  Usually
underground where aerobic bacteria can't thrive.

A failed sound-board has more to do with structural compression
damage to the wood fibers.  Ie ten year old Chinese pianos with
coastal spruce where the fat grain has dried out and the board
collapsed.  The wood has lost its "stiffness" and absorbs vibrations
much more than it did when new.  To a lesser degree this happens to
old boards.  Sometimes re-ribbing can revive a board.  Shimming
cracks that divide a board is another time-tested method.

Andrew Anderson