Bridge Pins, was Bridge Capping Materials: Ebony?

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:29:45 -0800

On Dec 2, 2005, at 5:29 PM, Ron Nossaman wrote

> I find a Vickers hardness of 60 for titanium, and 98 for mild steel.
> Why would titanium "probably" resist grooving better when it's a
> softer material?

Regarding hardness of titanium:  I have some titanium tubing at home.
Trying to attack that stuff with a hack saw is like taking a butter
knife to a broom handle.  Only a grinder will do it.  Definitely a lot
tougher than mild steel.  Perhaps it has undergone a hardening process,
I don't know, but from my understanding that is the way it comes.

There is no doubt for me titanium will resist grooving better than
regular bridge pins, which often seem to be little more than glorified
nails.   I might even worry about the string wire becoming grooved from
the titanium pin :^)

Having said that, there are numerous metals and alloys that are tougher
than mild steel and might be candidates for bridge pins.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info@pianofortesupply.com